Why did Mr. Money Mustache get Political today?

Well, that was interesting. I posted an article about rich people and taxes today, and the comments section rapidly exploded to set a record for activity. I’m glad to hear people are interested in politics, but I actually didn’t intend that as a political posting.

So while the comments section of that article continues to get murkier and murkier like a toilet that never gets flushed, we’ll start again right now with a fresh white bowl that explains the simple point I was trying to make the first time.

I liked Mr. Buffett’s gesture because it represented a spirit of sacrificing your own immediate interests for that of your community/country/planet. The feeling that there is plenty to go around, and we should put our resources to work instead of hoarding them.

I wrote that even the middle class should be willing to do so, in the right situations, because that represents the spirit of thinking big, and being strong and open-minded and realizing we all have plenty of money to put to work as needed, rather than being small, whiny, and thinking the problems in your life are created by someone else.

The foundation of this whole deal, Mr. Money Mustache, is the fact that the middle-class people of America have great power, plenty of wealth, and lots of opportunity. Once we realize this, we can stop complaining about how hard life is and how corrupt this or that politician is, and get on with the business of getting Rich. As long as we’re busy complaining, we’re creating excuses why we cannot actually get it done.

I witnessed a silly conversation on Facebook yesterday, where one guy posted the Buffett article, and another guy made the point, “200k to 1M of income isn’t what it used to be. This is not rich”.  Being a little bit fired up and not thinking clearly at that hour, I chimed in, “What!? That is a shitload of money! I have been retired for six years and I never even made close to that level of income! Even 60k is a damned healthy salary“.

Even after reading my point, this young man said this, “… $60k is a barely scraping by salary in Ottawa for a family. Just affording the mortgage on a $300K house requires more than that without over leveraging. Good luck getting a family sized house for that in Ottawa. If you lived in NYC, Boston, Vancouver, a $100K salary would get you squat (maybe a small 2 bedroom apt with a parking spot)….

And that is EXACTLY the point I am trying to make. Facebook Guy will still be stuck working for many years, Mr. Money Mustache graduated long ago. Because of the attitude of “Appreciate what you have, and make it work for you, instead of complaining it is not enough.”

That’s all. No political commentary required.

10 Responses to “Why did Mr. Money Mustache get Political today?”

1. Bryan August 16, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

I found your blog a week or so ago and have read nearly all of it and find it interesting. You bring up some good points about how to live well on an average salary. One of my favorite posts was the one about millionaires are made $10 at a time. I had a hard time accepting that $10 was a lot of money but I digested what I had read and re read it a day or so later and realised how true that statement is…Ten dollars is a lot of money!

2. MMM August 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks Bryan! Glad to hear it – I still do love my Tens, even to this day ;-)

3. Wanna.be.frugal.George August 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

Very well put MMM, I’m glad I read this before your earlier one which by the sounds of it is pretty bogged down w/ crappy comments. I totally agree with you, but as I’ve said before these like minded people are driven to believe that if they do not have the biggest house, or the fastest car (or whatever that item might be that they believe will elevate them to a higher social status) they’ll never be happy, EVER. It is truly sad to see people with this mindset: to achieve status through (put bluntly) stuff. I once worked with a man that would work double over time, side jobs, every job (electrical contractor). He was very good at his job, however he’d just work so he could afford the LATEST and GREATEST *THING*. That man had a nervous breakdown one day at work, and lost his mind from all the pressure and exhaustion he was having from not eating right or getting enough sleep. Later on he lost his wife and his kids to his insatiability for materialism.

4. Dan August 16, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

Agreed. Regardless of politics, Americans are already so wealthy and yet few realize it. We should all be more thankful and thoughtful with our cash- whether we be fiscally liberal or conservative.

5. Dan August 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

Though the socially conservative can just go to hell (haha just kidding, kinda)

6. Fu Manchu August 17, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Bravo MMM, couldn’t agree more.

And for the record, I live in Boston, rent a nice 2 bedroom, own no car / need no parking spot (take the T), and save around 46% of my $50k in salary. My friends, girlfriend and I all tend to choose a BBQ over a bar, free events in town over Six Flags, and homebrew on our rooftop over Bud Lites in front of the TV :-D

7. Oskar August 17, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Thanks MMM, very good post (both this one and the last)

Politcal discussion in the world has become so much about taxes, and the level of them going so far as to some the solution to all problems are higher taxes and for others the solution is allways lower taxes. To me politics should be about ideas how to build a better world/country, talking taxes without political ideas is like discussing price without knowing what you are buying.

• MMM August 17, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Fantastic point, about price vs. Service, Oskar! Hopefully everyone can agree on that.

8. Kevin M August 17, 2011 at 9:18 am #

The second to last paragraph is gold, MMM! It took me awhile to realize I had enough, but I am so glad I got there and married a smart woman that feels the same way. Our country needs to stop with the “more is better” crap though, what a waste of time and money.

9. Robin July 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Found your blog through a GRS commenter and have been slowly catching up when I could. The ‘ appreciate what you have….’ quote struck such a chord with me that I just had to say thank you for writing this blog and for being an excellent source or wisdom and inspiration.