An Online Forum for Mustachians on Reddit

Hey, just a quick note while I’m running around cleaning up the house for a big family visit:

Some cool person (it wasn’t me, honest) started a new category on the excellent online forum site called Reddit.

If you haven’t heard of Reddit, it is a place where people gather to ask and answer questions on a certain topic and help each other out. They also share links from around the web on that topic, and the whole collection of ideas gets demographically sorted out by You the Readers using a simple system where you click on an up arrow if you like something, and a down arrow if you don’t

I have been a Reddit reader and occasional writer for some time. I was following the personalfinance and frugal areas. But recently, a category called “financialindependence” was added. I was honored that the Mr. Money Mustache blog, along with Early Retirement Extreme, was listed as one of the inspirations!

This forum is just getting started (it has about 500 readers right now), but it is a good place to brush up on your Early Retirement skills. And you will probably get faster answers to specific questions than you would get directly from me through the contact submission form, since I am embarrassed to say that I have about a week of them piled up waiting to answer right now :-(.

Anyone can read freely without signing in, and you can create a username and password for yourself on Reddit if you want to vote and make your own posts.

Here it is!

A big thanks to the Reddit user named triestoohard for starting this helpful category, and for the kind mention in his introduction.

10 Responses to “An Online Forum for Mustachians on Reddit”

1. Redditor November 17, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Interestingly enough I found your blow through a comment in r/frugal a few months ago.

• Redditor November 17, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Correction, blog not blow…

2. Joe O November 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

MMM, you absolutely NEED to set up a forum on this site. They’re cheap or free, easy to set up, and it would be great resource for your readers. It’d give you blog post ideas, and make this site even more of a community.

It may start slow, with few posts, but it would snowball quickly! (Think of how early articles got a few comments, and recent ones have gotten dozens.)

Please, please consider it. :D

• MMM November 18, 2011 at 9:24 am #

I like the idea.. I just figured why should I host it here when Reddit is great and brings in outside ideas as well?

Also, Jacob started a forum long ago on ERE, and I didn’t want to steal any of his forum commenters or compete with it. Would it really help more people to have a third early retirement forum which would tend to spread out the ideas over a larger area of the Internet?

• Joe O November 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

I believe it would, and here’s why: YOUR readers don’t go to those sites. They come HERE.

I, for example, don’t visit reddit. I do visit here, and would enjoy interacting with other aspiring Staches. I can guarantee you have readers that don’t visit ERE or reddit.

And while I do visit ERE, and post on the forums there, I think there is some fundamental differences between the ERE style and the MMM style. Further, I think as this site grows, more and more people will appreciate the ability to interact beyond a static comments section, and have whole back and forth discussions. I don’t think it would compete significantly, I think many would choose to participate in both, as I would. And if a reader ultimately decides that the MMM forum is a better fit for them than the ERE one, isn’t that a GOOD thing? They’ve found a community that ey enjoy contributing to even more, and are even more engaged than they might be?

And if you start a forum section of the site, and it gets hardly any posts, who cares, what have you lost? It’s free, takes very little time to set up, why not do it? I think it may start slow, like I said, but I think in six months or a year would snowball and be awesome.

There’s no downside, and a big upside.

Do it.

• MMM November 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

All right, fine bossy man, I’ll set up a Big Money Mustache Forum just for you. Stay tuned!

Sheeeeesh ;-)

• Joe O November 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Yay! Looking forward to it! :D

• triestoohard November 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

In order to avoid fragmenting the discussion too much, maybe we could put persistent links to one another on the different forums? (And possibly get Jacob on board?) Joe O makes a good point about different readerships, to which I’d add that reddit has a very different format… but since there’s a thematic overlap, I’m sure some readers might appreciate the connection.

I think I’m allowed to mess with my subreddit’s css, so I might just put a box at the top of r/fi with links to the ERE and (future) MMM forums.

3. ael October 21, 2012 at 1:53 am #

The comments here are more mature than those of Reddit. So I strongly support a forum here. Although the comments alone are pretty good in lieu of a forum.

• Joe O October 21, 2012 at 8:31 am #

ael (and any future visitors): Mrs. MM was kind enough to set up a forum here a few months after this post.

In the banner above it’s the second link, or you can click here: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/