New Logo (and other Creativity)

Wow, it’s Monday morning again. I can feel it already, the inevitable summer slowdown of blog writing. Mr. Money Mustache no longer has weekdays free (Kindergarten is out) and the weather is great. I’m about 70% done building my new fence, and I’ve been helping my boy practice his newly-acquired skill of bike riding – he’s almost there!

Since there’s no real article today, I thought I’d use this quiet time to thank the artistic MMM Reader known as Chris Mougey for the new banner/logo you might have noticed at the top of this web page.

Many months ago, he sent me a sketch he had made of a Wise Mustachioed Dude after reading “Why are you called Mr. Money Mustache, anyway?

I was intrigued, so together we exchanged ideas, and put him in front of an old Wall-Street-style city scene (originally derived from portions of a Google Earth street scene)  just as described in the old article. Then Chris even rescued my scribbly hand-drawn lettering from the previous logo with the turntables, turned it into Solid Gold, and superimposed it atop the new drawing. Then I moved the letters a bit, and left them in their current slightly-crooked alignment due lack of photoshop skill, which I may or may not fix.

But anyway, I still think it looks cool.. so thanks very much Chris!

Working with people from the Mustache community on creative endeavors is pretty fun. That’s why I’ve been so happy to share the recent group of really well-written guest posts on the weekends, and the retirement calculator spreadsheet series before that.

There’s more creating to be done. Friends (and wife) around here have been really egging me on to start making some videos for this site. They could be instructional ones on do-it-yourself topics, or silly ones where antimustachian people around town are politely harassed, or even music videos. There could also be reader submissions on similar themes.

The only problem is I have never cut real videos before. It’s easy to do at a basic level (with programs like iMovie on the Mac or Adobe Premier Elements on the PC), but it takes some skill to make things that aren’t overly painful to watch.

So this is a Call To Action. Filmmakers wanted. If YOU happen to enjoy producing videos, and want to help teach me how to do it, or if you want to take some raw footage and chop it together into something neat, get in touch with me through the contact button or the comments below.  I could even just work through a tutorial series to learn what I need – any recommendations?

Or, if you just want to share videos you made yourself, the call is the same. There is a long-dormant YouTube channel for Mr. Money Mustache where I would eventually post everything, so if we start getting videos, that’s where they will go.

Thanks for reading and have a great Monday!

24 Responses to “New Logo (and other Creativity)”

1. Jimbo May 28, 2012 at 8:21 am #

I used to do video editing on Adobe Premiere some years ago. It’s loads of fun, especially trying to find a soundtrack to fit, trying to make everything flow and look good. Time consuming, but a lot of fun.

I found it was very easy to learn as you go, once you have the basic skills. And I also found that it is very, very, hard for two persons not in the same location to work on something. Files are huge and hard to share, explanations over the phone/email take twice as long (click on the tool that looks like a razorblade, and then click on the second line of the video stream…) and somewhat complicated.

I don’t want to sound like a complainypants, but I think the simplest would be to find a local resource person.

I would volunteer if I wasn’t 2000 miles away…

2. RubeRad May 28, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Great new logo! Very woodsman. You should try to work the word “frontier” in there somewhere, like “blazing a trail on the frontier of financial independence”. But the “badassity” one is good too.

3. rjack May 28, 2012 at 9:20 am #

I like the logo also.

MMM – would you ever consider creating your own podcast? I think it could be based on a reader Q&A format.

4. Christine Wilson May 28, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Okay that simple retirement calculator is… awesome! Thanks for mentioning and linking to it.

I like the font chosen for your banner. Definitely more badassity!

5. Nick May 28, 2012 at 11:32 am #

I would love to see videos of MMM on his bike, harassing some idiot on the street with their ginormous SUV only hauling one bag of groceries!

6. Investlike1percent May 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

heres to MMM 2.0.

please please start your MMM financial network!!!

7. mike crosby May 28, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Nice logo. I like rjack’s idea about podcasting.

Videos would be nice but to make them compelling, would take a lot of work.

I follow a perpetual traveller who’s also a blogger and he said he was going all video. I knew it wouldn’t work, but he’s the kind of guy who has to find out by himself. He’s now back to 90% written and 10% video. Soon he’ll be dumping video.

People who read blogs like the written word. And the spoken word. When I get linked to a video and I see the actual content will start 30 seconds after the commercial, I back out. I don’t care how good the video might be, I’m not going to spend 30 seconds waiting for content.

• Marlene May 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

It probably also depends on what kind of audience is reading: are people reading in their leisure time or sneaky at work. Sneaky at works means – not much time for video. And reading goes faster ;-)

8. Dragline May 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Re the videos, you might be surprised at how much you can do just with the free video enhancement software available on YouTube. I had some terrible looking shaky video of my kid’s rowing competitions and I ran them through the YouTube stabilizer and “voila” — they turned out great. There are also ways to annotate, add links and music right there on the site. Make yourself a little vid, plop it up there and go play around with it.

9. Cecile May 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Great new logo ! I can’t wait to see some videos !

10. gooki May 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

I’m happy to offer up my professional skills for the benefit of society. Flick me a message on the forum or email, I’d happily cut some video together.

DropBox is the easiest way to get big files to me.

PS. If you want to learn yourself, try the tutorials at Linda.com

• Mr. Money Mustache May 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks Gooki! I will check out that site for tutorials and also drop you an email once I get further along.

• gooki May 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Great. If you are yet to do the filming my tips:

1) Shoot in HD, that way you can crop in post production to better frame the content

2) Use a tripod wherever possible.

11. Nick May 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I’ve made some pretty cool videos using windows movie maker and sony vegas, you can find tons of tutorials about how to use either program on youtube. If you want to check the vids out just type in drgrcr00 or drgracer00 into youtube.

12. Rich M. May 28, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Adobe is awesome for photoshop. Not happy with them for their low end video editor–yes, I spent the money and it was slow and crashed a lot. Maybe the pro version of premier is better but for a cheap high quality video editor, I prefer Powerdirector.

13. Kath1213 May 28, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Hi MMM!

Congrats on the Mini-Mustache graduating from Kindergarten!

Discovered your blog thru Joe @NMHD and I’m in the process of reading from beginning to current. LOVE that you’re so down to earth and common sense…and super inspiring too. And yay, we’re fellow Coloradans! (Holla from Boulder, yo!!)

Have been telling all my buddies at work about your Mustachian ways (can’t say where I work but will refer to it as The Fruitstand) and several of us are seeing how far we can go at “outfrugaling” each other.

Happy Summer to you & the Mrs and the Mini :-)

Kath

14. Djoly May 29, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Hey MMM,

Once again I’ve bumped into you while rattling around the junkyard in my head! Last week I was telling my wife I was thinking about coming up with a video project for a computer graphics / animation class I teach having to do with personal finance / debt / financial independence. I feel like most of the students I get at the local community college would benefit A LOT MORE from that knowledge than they will from knowing where the hell the blur filter is in photoshop.

So if you’re interested it’d be fun to talk about some way of collaborating on a video and/or animation project. I’ve got some ideas and would welcome yours.

That aside, my recommendation re: producing your own video is use the lower end of the software spectrum – like iMovie if on a Mac. You get a huge amount of latitude without the cost and endless features only a pro might want or need in FinalCut or Premiere Pro. Of course if you’ve got a pro or highly motivated volunteer, all the better. In my own work I use Illustrator, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Flash and Cinema 4D (3D modeling), so if you want some input or help with stuff re: any of those or what they’d be good for, I’m happy to help! :-)

15. Joe May 29, 2012 at 11:36 am #

The logo’s cool enough – but you should hold a logo contest and let people submit cool designs – I bet you’ve got some real good creatives reading your stuff. You can offer personalized financial advice in exchange, or just let them do it because they love what you write!

• GregK May 29, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Agreed… I’d probably venture an entry.

• Chris Mougey June 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

I wouldn’t be adverse to somebody else making the logo if it were truly better than mine. Two heads are better than one ; )

16. Amicable Skeptic May 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Beyond the technical what’s and how’s of video editing a big part of compelling videos is in the style of the video. I feel like a good set of examples for you would be the daily video series Ze Frank did. They’re still all up online, just go to http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/popular.html to see some of the more popular ones and maybe be inspired (I watchd them all back in the day, there are definitely a few where he talks about how he does what he does, what camera he uses, etc., but I can’t find them right now).

He’s apparently just started up a new series of internet shows (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zefrank/a-show-with-ze-frank). Maybe he’d be interested in a guest spot from another happening internet celeb like yourself? A Ze Frank Money Mustache tag team fight against stupidity would be maybe the greatest internet video ever.

17. xiaolongbao May 30, 2012 at 2:37 am #

Can I put in a plea for some videos that are hosted on places other than youtube, or at least for any video posts to also include a transcript? I live in China, where youtube is blocked, and it’s incredibly frustrating for me when one blog after another goes the single-youtube-video-as-entire-post route, forcing me to abandon the blog because I can’t see any of the content any more.

18. KarlaCash February 14, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Oh no, the Ultimate Retirement Calculator link (for the US version I see) is broken! I’ve been looking for that and hoped to stumble over the US version as I get through the blog posts.