Meeting of Mustachians – Thursday, Sunset Park, Las Vegas

The Mustache Family is currently stationed in one of the most Antimustachian corners of the Earth – in a Casino Hotel on Fremont Street, Las Vegas. The lights are bright, music is loud, and the drinks are pouring. The hotel has placed a bottle of Fiji water on this table next to me, inviting me to crack it open to quench my thirst, if only I don’t mind a $9.00 fee being added to my room charge. Nice touch.

Of course, we are fighting back in our own way by showing up with a big cooler full of fresh food, hot plate and frying pan, box of wine, and plans to enjoy this place in a way they don’t want you to enjoy it – with hiking, parks, and even a bit of public transit. Take that, Sin City!

So anyway, I’ve got a little meeting planned on Thursday with one of the Bosses of the MMM Forums – a guy who goes by the nickname ARebelSpy. Since he was already planning to invite several local Mustachians, he suggested we invite YOU as well and make a party of it. That sounded good to me.

Time: This Thursday, April 4th 5:00PM

Place: Sunset Park, at the tables under the umbrella thingy

Sunset Park Map Sunset Park Tables

Bring: If you are so inclined, cooler with any fun beverages, and even something for the public barbecues if you like. Your friends. A frisbee or football perhaps. I’ve never been to this park, but I’m excited to check it out.

This will be one of the rare MMM meetups where the lovely Mrs. MM will be there too! We have the grandparents along with us on this trip, so we will take advantage of the convenient babysitting to come out on the town together.

I Hope to see you there! If you have trouble finding us, send me a tweet or something, I will try to keep on top of things.

48 Responses to “Meeting of Mustachians – Thursday, Sunset Park, Las Vegas”

1. mike April 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

MMM, you’re too much:-) You have got to be the only guy that brings a hot plate and frying pan to the land of all you can eat buffets.

If I walk by your room in the morning and I’m smelling omelettes being cooked, I’m knocking on your door. (Do you have the ingredients for a Denver omelette?)

I was in downtown LV last summer and bought an 18 pack of beer for $10 at the AM PM. Filled up sink with ice to cool my beer, then went walking around with a beer in hand in one in pocket. Had a great time, and haven’t had a drink since.

Speaking of buffets, The Orleans on Tropicana has a breakfast buffet you would not believe. And I think the price is under $7 during the week. You just have to get there early, the line to get in is literally all the way to the outside entrance.

• Mr. Money Mustache April 3, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Yeah.. I like a good buffet.. but the do-it-yourself food is a real time-saver. Healthier too.

Plus my son is a picky eater, making restaurants and buffets impractical at this age. It has been a lot of fun being the group’s designated chef!

2. Ben Shideler April 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

One trick I learned while I was there a few years ago for water was to go up to the bartender and ask for a glass of water. They give you one for free every time.

3. Holly@ClubThrifty April 3, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Have a drink (or ten) for me!!!!!

4. Krista Lee April 3, 2013 at 7:56 am #

You MUST do this hike to natural hot springs while you’re in Vegas! It’s past the last casino going towards the Hoover Dam. We didn’t get to the river or larger hot springs this guide talks about, but this is the same hike

SO worth it :) We hit up the Hoover Dam afterwards.

5. sms April 3, 2013 at 8:15 am #

I feel like an idiot for not realizing that it’s “a rebel spy”… I’ve always just read it as “arebel spy” and had no idea what it meant

• Tyler Karaszewski April 3, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Haha, me too.

• Mr. Frugal Toque April 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Many Bothans died to bring you that information.

• Aaron April 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

I thought the same as you for awhile, until someone replied to one of his comments and referred to him as “Rebel”, then it clicked.

6. Jana Miller April 3, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Love the craziness that is Fremont Street. We recognized one of the guys dressed in drag and realized it was because we had seen him on an episode of cops!

We also love Komex Express-super cheap dive but off the strip and we like Firefly’s happy hour and sangria!

7. Dave April 3, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Hay stache man
    Wife and I were in Vegas last week. Stayed at a nice Rennansance Inn in the Hughes Convention Center. Got the room at $72/nite and included breakfast and a managers reception in the evening. Reception included free wine / beer and a light dinner with desert. Outstanding value in a great property. Also enjoyed staying off the strip.

Take in the Hover dam if you can. Very interesting and can be done for $0.

8. Jacob@CashCowCouple April 3, 2013 at 9:38 am #

MMM, I want to kick it with you at the park. Unfortunately I’m a thousand + miles away… Enjoy that mustachian festival! I’l be eagerly waiting for the recap.

9. Mr. 1500 April 3, 2013 at 10:04 am #

I have family in Vegas, but can’t stand the whole casino scene, so I’m always looking for other stuff to do. My unsolicited suggestions:

Go out to Red Rock Canyon, only about 15 minutes from the strip and really beautiful: http://www.vegas.com/attractions/outside_lasvegas/redrock.html

If you’d like a great learning opportunity for MMM Junior, this is a neat facility: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Springs_Preserve

Finally, I’m a science nut, so greatly enjoyed this: http://www.nationalatomictestingmuseum.org/

Note that none of these are free.

• Vegas Resident/Baby Mustachian April 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Unless you’re a BoA customer! They have Free Museum Weekends if you look it up on the site. This weekend’s free entry includes BofA: Las Vegas Natural History Museum, Springs Preserve, & the Discovery Children’s Museum.

I live less than a mile from and have jogged by the Atomic Testing Museum…guess I should go!

Of course, I’ll be sharing other tips at the meetup–can’t wait!

10. jessica w April 3, 2013 at 10:07 am #

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/las-vegas/-79-Las-Vegas-5-Star-Hotel-45-Off-1444498/?placement=Top20-DealLink Travel Zoo is having some deals on hotels in Vegas!

11. Garrett April 3, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Hey MMM – if you are still in town, check out our free monthly art festival First Friday. http://www.firstfridaylasvegas.com/

You can take the free shuttle from East Fremont or walk.

12. TJ April 3, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Too bad, I was just there!

I wanted to suggest to anyone going to make sure you take the time to check out Red Rocks. Rock climbers come from all over the world to climb there, yet it seems to be an unknown entity to most people who travel there. Almost everyone else has the Grand Canyon or Zion National park on their list, but Red Rocks gets missed which is a shame.

Just drive straight out Charleston. You pay $7 for a day’s access to the loop road, then you can stop at any one of the pullouts and go for a hike. If you’re feeling adventurous, stop by the Desert Rock Sports on Charleston and ask to hire a local guide to take you out climbing.

It’s my favourite place to climb! Enjoy your trip!

13. Jen April 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

We went there and didn’t gamble, just checked out Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon, both were awesome and not much of a drive at all. Fun trip!

14. Mirwen April 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Wow! I’m so excited. I’ll definitely be there, but I can’t find those tables on the Google satellite image. Sunset park is a big place (140 acres) and they’ve made a lot of changes recently. Can you explain where that spot is located in relation to other park features?

• Joe O (arebelspy) April 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Mirwen: The satellite image is out of date. Go right exactly where the “A” is on the map above. I moved the A on the map to be at the exact meeting spot. :)

See you tomorrow!

15. jrs (james) April 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

I will see you at sunset park. I may be a few minutes late. I may not be able to stay long… But I will be there.

Coincidentally, did you know one of the nation’s largest rock climbing workshops is happening in las vegas this weekend? Red Rock Rendezvous.

Cheers,
    -jrs

16. Jason April 3, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

I’m in St. George, UT… & unfortunately, 2 hours away is quite a ways for a mustachian meeting. :(

If you come through this way, let me know & I’ll tell you some interesting mustachian ideas I’ve been musing.

“Opportunity cost over time”

“The true cost & benefit of college” aka why stupid apps are oversimplified.

Determining how much more money you need to earn to equal a specified sum in saving money aka analyzing tax brackets and other taxes (sales, etc) to determine if taking a higher paying job with a higher cost of living is really a better idea. (and other very important financial decisions)

I have also made most of a kick-ass, extendable web app for comparing a VERY broad assortment of future financial decisions based on simple principle of interest. (mostly just a little front-end is left to write)

I might get to writing about these on a website some day. They’re already half-written– I was mostly waiting to finish the app- then I stumbled on a profitable business that I enjoy and takes a good chunk of time.

That was a long rant… money is a complicated subject. Let me know if you come through this way and want to talk a little shop & check out some incredible mustachian activities in Sunny St. George.

• Vegas Resident/Baby Mustachian April 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I love St George for its Cracker Barrel! Being from the southeast, I miss its absence in Vegas, and took many day trips there in my pre-Mustachian days :)

Also had the chance recently to introduce a native Las Vegan to its comfort food wonders. Good times!

17. Self-Employed-Swami April 4, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Hey MMM! Make sure to check out the shark tank swimming pool at the Golden Nugget! The last time we were in Vegas, it was pretty easy to sneak into, if you aren’t staying there.

18. SamanthaNichole April 4, 2013 at 9:11 am #

I will be in Vegas for Halloween and I’m so excited! I love reading all the suggestions for cheap things to do that don’t involve the strip. I intend to use them for planning my trip. I also heard there is a M&M factory? Does anybody know the deal with that? Can you tour it?

• Anne April 4, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Samantha, there is an M&M world on the strip which is a 4 story M&M store with lots of consumer trappings. It does have a few good photo ops inside though, including a Vegas sign with full scale M&M characters in front of it. For a factory tour you might be thinking of Ethel M’s chocolate factory which has a free tour off the strip http://www.ethelm.com/about_us/factory_tour.aspx that involves chocolate samples- I haven’t been yet but hear good things.

19. win April 4, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Funny t-shirt for MMM.

“I mustache ( must ask) you a question. “

20. Diana April 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Aww, wish we had known in advance! We’d love to meet you and the Mrs, and A Rebel Spy was most helpful in finding us an awesome new property manager a few months ago – hubby and I are big fans of you guys!

Vegas does not have to be expensive. 2 years ago we spent a week there for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I scored a newly renovated 2 Br, 2 Ba, 1,200 sq ft timeshare for $250 for the week, just off the strip. With a full kitchen and laundry, we picked up some groceries so we could always eat breakfast in, plus one other meal each day. Ate out at the restaurants the locals would frequent, and had an amazing time. The front desk gave us a list of free things to do in Vegas, and we crossed most of them off the list, having a great time in the process!

Red Rock, the Hoover Dam, the Vegas sign, the chocolate factory tour, the reality TV “celebrity” attractions, the minor league baseball team – lots of great ways to have fun and not blow the budget. Got the car rental super cheap too. Vegas is a lot more than the strip, enjoy the trip. :)

21. tappan April 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

I’d love to go, MrMoMu, as I live in Vegas (but I’m from rural Vermont) and am an unofficial mustachian, but alas I am visiting SF for another day or two. Another time.

Stay thirsty, stay frugal.

22. Bcereus April 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Vegas is an awesome city for a trip. Some things to do away from the strip include; Red Rocks Canyon, Mt. Charleston with great hiking trails and skiing when there is snow, and Valley of Fire. The last one is a bit of a drive, but so worth it. If you drive out to the far edge of town and a bit beyond you can see a lot of stars.

23. Jane Savers @ The Money Puzzle April 5, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Too broke to travel but wishing I was somewhere warm because it is snowing again in my part of Canada.

Is Toronto in your future? In the summer of course.

24. Jeremy April 5, 2013 at 10:23 am #

It isn’t exactly frugal, but the Cirque du Soleil show “O” in the Bellagio hotel is an amazing experience. It’s a way better experiment in wasting money than anything else in Vegas

25. pyro April 5, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Good to meet you and Mrs MM yesterday! Thanks for the helpful information you shared. I’m now on a mission to start crushing that AC bill this summer.

26. Jacob @ iHeartBudgets April 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Was in Vegas for a work convention a while back (CES), and man, that place it ridiculous. I dropped $78 on 4 drinks for my boss and I. I mean, the money was budgeted, but basically didn’t drink any after that, and just stuck to food and drinks on the company dime. YOWZA! Have a frugal, fun time, and enjoy the sunshine (currently raining in the Seattle area by my house).

27. Jesse April 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Are you ever going to make it to the southeast region of the US?

28. Blair April 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Man, I thought I check this site everyday. I don’t know how this Las Vegas meet up slipped through the cracks. I could have sworn I checked the site since the second. Not only did I miss out on MMM, but also Arebelspy. I honestly work 1/2 mile from this park. Hopefully you make it back out this one again soon. I would have loved thanking you in person for all that you’ve taught me.

• Andrew April 6, 2013 at 7:22 am #

I’m with you Blair; I check the site often looking for my daily face punch, but today is the first time I’m seeing this post (on the 6th).

I’m on the other side of the country, though, so I didn’t miss out on anything.

• bdub April 6, 2013 at 8:59 am #

The site hasn’t been auto-refreshing for me. I have to hit the “refresh” button in my browser to get the latest articles.

I have this issue in Firefox and Chrome, on my work PC and home PC.

• Bill April 6, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Same here – I have to hit refresh. Chrome.

• lentilman April 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Same here.

• Kevin April 6, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Blair,

Follow MMM on Twitter: @mrmoneymustache

I’ve seen several times (like this one) where the tweeted article is live but doesn’t show on the main page if you go straight to the website

• Mr. Money Mustache April 6, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

D’argh! Sorry to hear that, Blair! Sounds like we still have a few remaining problems with the content distribution network (CDN) which speeds delivery of this site, but needs extra configuration to ensure that new stuff gets propagated properly.

29. Diana April 6, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Yup, same issue here, not auto-refreshing on Firefox. :(

30. Tony@WeOnlyDoThisOnce April 7, 2013 at 7:08 am #

Let us know when you finally come out to NYC, MMM. I’ll hook you up with free concert tickets! As far as doing the rest on the cheap..errrrrrrr…

31. Bobby April 7, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I love Vegas. We will be out there in May for a blackjack tournament. Staying at the Venetian. All rooms suites

32. KC @ genxfinance April 10, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Hey, more photos. Hope you’ll have a great time.