Mustache on the Move: Heading to Lake Tahoe

The Cap'm

Once every year, a magical time comes where a bunch of grown men get to act like teenagers again for a week. It’s called the Safety Pirates Snowboarding trip, and it involves a binge of out-of-bounds powder seeking, groomer speed competitions, moderate substance abuse, and late nights on the town or in the resort hot-tubs. The trip hits a new mountain location each year, and this year the unlucky town is Lake Tahoe, Nevada.

We know we’re too old for this, but we are compelled by the persuasive abilities of the Captain of the Safety Pirates, a bossy and slightly insane Chicago resident pictured above. You wouldn’t dare to say no to him, would you?

Then we all go back to our real lives and continue to raise our children, or tend to our businesses, or design video games, whatever the case might be.

So I’ll be leaving this Sunday. I imagine this will have unpredictable results on the blogging schedule, since I imagine the pirates will have a busy schedule. Plus, the only computing device I’ll have with me will be my tiny iPhone.

On the other hand, I’m sure there will be many things that need reporting. And I’m using part of this trip as a chance to research a city I’ve never been to: Reno, Nevada.

Reno contains the airport that serves Lake Tahoe, and it is an interesting place right now. One of the sunniest cities in the United states, it is surrounded by mountains and located at about 4500 feet above sea level and at 40 degrees latitude, which gives it an excellent climate for lovers of the outdoors (similar to but slightly warmer than Denver). Legalized gambling, tourism, and its location right next to one of the closest good ski areas near San Francisco has pumped money into this town, and led to a property boom in the mid-2000s. This boom collapsed at the end of the decade, cutting house prices in half in both Reno and its bigger neighbor seven hours to the South, Las Vegas.

So I’m going to take a look at the rental property market while I’m there, just for future investment writing.

If YOU happen to live in Reno or North Lake Tahoe and might be interested in meeting up for a chitchat or a beer – or even if you’re a real estate agent willing to show me around briefly, get in touch through the contact button above!  I’ll be alone checking out Reno this Sunday afternoon from about 1-5, and in the Incline Village (North Lake Tahoe) for the rest of the week.

I also have two guest postings lined up to share with you next week. No, not little simplistic promotional guest postings, but real and thoughtful ones from powerful members of the Extended Mustachian Community who also have their own blogs. Stay tuned, they will be fun.

have a great week!

33 Responses to “Mustache on the Move: Heading to Lake Tahoe”

1. Jungle February 3, 2012 at 7:20 am #

First to post on your crazy growing blog! Have fun and don’t hurt yourself. Healthcare costs money in the states!

2. borisborisboris February 3, 2012 at 7:58 am #

Is the nickname Cap’m a dorky finance joke? If so, it’s an awesome one.

Enjoy the trip.

3. DollarDisciple February 3, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Have a great time! We almost went to Tahoe to go scuba diving last time we were out that way but our schedule was too tight.

4. marven February 3, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Sounds like fun, hope you have a good time. As for spending much of that time on the snow, I wouldn’t be so sure. We’ve yet to get much serious snow out here this year. Definitely made me glad I did not purchase a season pass to my local ski resort(s) this year.

• Rob February 3, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Agreed. I live on the other side of the Sierras (near the urban sprawl that is Roseville). Debated on a season pass to Squaw Valley / Alpine but decided against it with a little one a home and the need to go 7+ times to recoup the money.

MMM, good luck finding good snow. Tahoe snow was amazing last year. This year, not so much.

5. Hils February 3, 2012 at 8:24 am #

I’m sure that you and the Safety Pirates will have a tremendous time on your trip! I’ll look forward to reading more from the EMC (extended mustachian community) in those guest posts while you are engaging in shenanigans, hijinks, and probably tomfoolery with your friends.

I would like to see an artistic rendering of a safety pirate, btw. Anyone got the skills to make this happen?

• mugwump February 3, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I imagine he would wear a belt and suspenders.

• Hils February 3, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Absolutely! You can’t be too careful about your pants falling off.

6. Kevin M February 3, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Have a good time, and scout out some good spots for me! I’m going there in June to visit my sister & her family who just moved to Reno.

7. Paul February 3, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Keep your vomit baggy handy when landing in Reno. It is the most turbulent airport landing in the country. Pilots train there to get use to the turbulence.

8. BBaxter February 3, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Good luck getting out of Denver with a foot and a half of snow.

• MMM February 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Indeed! My son and I just got back in from making an enormous snow fort in the front yard. I don’t think travel will be any problem by Sunday, however – the major roads are already melted clear because the sun is starting to peek out.

In fact, this is not the first time it has snowed in the winter in the Denver area, so we even have these special devices called “snow plows” – they push the snow off of the runways and allow the planes to take off even one day after a snowstorm ;-)

• BBaxter February 3, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

I grew up in Denver and have seen 18 inch snowfalls in September, 1937 and 1959 if memory serves. (maybe more) That early in the season the snow brings down tree limbs onto power lines and creates a hell of a mess. This late in the season its kinda fun.

9. Doreena February 3, 2012 at 9:07 am #

I live in Reno! Im not a real estate agent, just a 27 year trying to learn the ways of early retirement! Hope you have a great trip up here. We havent gotten much snow compared to other winters but Im sure fun times will still be had!

10. Connor February 3, 2012 at 10:16 am #

You’re welcome..

I’m Canadian and they have great beers. Craft brewing is blowing up in Vancouver.. come check it out.

11. Diane February 3, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Yeah, don’t judge Tahoe by this year’s snow. Last year was awesome, this year not so much… No storms predicted for this weekend, either. Alas.

Another thing about Reno is that because of the gambling, there is more transience than in other cities. Similar issues in Vegas. This could work for you or against you as a landlord. Just mentioning it in case no one else has.

I know from experience that looking can lead to buying. Owning rental property that’s far from home can be a pain, no matter how good the numbers look. Ask me how I know.

12. The Money Monk February 3, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Sounds like fun. Everybody needs a week or two of debauchery now and then.

13. JaneMD February 3, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Stay safe guys! Enjoy yourself and don’t get into any trouble that makes your wives show up with bail money. ;)

14. Brett February 3, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Spent more time than I care to admit just now questioning why you’d specifically ask for a real estate agent, as though you might be worried you’d get an imposter or an imaginary. In the UK we just call them estate agents. D’oh. And I thought I’d been exposed to American English more than enough by now to not get caught out.

• Gerard February 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

“I know he’s going to the mountains, but why is he looking for a real tor?”

15. Justin B February 3, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Are you planning on doing a meetup this weekend or next weekend? Im down in Sacramento and would love a chance to meet up with some other stashians!

• MMM February 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Aww, thanks for the interest Justin!

How about I’ll look you up when I do a scope-out of Davis, CA on an upcoming trip. I’ve heard it is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country, which warrants an investigative visit for a future place to settle.

• Rob February 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

“However, you are not allowed to drive 2.5 hours one way just to meet up with a financial blogger and some random readers. That would disqualify you as a Mustachian!”

What if he bikes there? :-)

• Concojones February 3, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I’d join you guys in Davis. It’s an hour drive, but hey, meeting interesting people is important, and if you have a healthy savings rate, why not!

• Chris February 4, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Davis, CA is indeed an awesome little college community! My wife and I go there often and its full of walkable streets and unique eateries, bikes and motorcycles. Definitely worth the visit. As far as settling here, the property taxes are heinous here in Cali, however, we never run out of things to do. Have fun on the snowboarding trip!

• Justin B February 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Davis is a fantastic small college town that is VERY bike friendly with great schools.

Grab my email and let me know when you are planning on coming to down.

16. herbert salisbury February 3, 2012 at 11:15 am #

SAFETY PIRATES ASSEMBLE!

17. 3rd Generation February 3, 2012 at 11:35 am #

If in the area of Dayton – Carson City, stop in at the New Sagebrush Tavern and Brothel.

Ask for Madame Kay, and tell her ‘Hell on Wheels’ sent ya.

Enjoy !

18. AlexK February 3, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Hey I live in Sparks and own 3 rental properties in the area. I am a big fan of your blog and would love to give you a tour and talk about Reno real estate on Sunday. Email me to set up a time and place.

19. AlexK February 3, 2012 at 11:55 am #

BTW it’s the worst snow season I’ve ever seen for Tahoe. Bring your “rock board”.

20. anon February 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

What’s with the weird link in the sixth paragraph where you describe Tahoe?

• MMM February 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Uh-oh.. looks like the site was hacked again. I may have fixed it now – but let me know if you see any other links added.

21. Shay W February 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Another shout out from a Reno reader of your blog. My husband and I moved back here after many years away, and for good and bad, this place is home. It also has affordable housing (we were finally able to buy something after living in some of the most expensive places on the West coast), abundant sunshine (she says after five grey years in Seattle), and easy access to the outdoors. If you can ignore/avoid the casinos and other unsavory influences, Reno is a place with good people, a rising bike culture, and good food options sprouting up.

Enjoy your week up here and hope that you still have fun even with the underwhelming amount of snow we have had. Your blog is one of my favorite daily destinations!