My New 1000% Annual Return-on-Investment Clothes Dryer

It’s widely known that I think clothes dryers are a big waste of energy. There’s something about a device that sucks warm air from inside your house, pumps 5,000 additional watts of coal-generated electric heat* into it, and then shoots it outside into the cold winter air along with lots of nice humidity from your freshly-washed clothes, that just doesn’t agree with my efficiency-oriented engineer’s brain.

But there are two laundry practitioners in my house, and a certain lady was not quite as fond as me of spreading out dozens of preschooler socks and floppy tall man shirts on every available surface each week on laundry day. So when Mr. Money Mustache was not in the immediate vicinity of the laundry room, he would often hear the electric clothes dryer kicking on somewhere in the distance.

You see, we both had the desire for natural clothes drying, but none of the right equipment to actually do it. So I have just been hanging up my wet clothes on hangers, towel racks, chairs, over doorways, etc, for the last few years. It’s not quite as bad as it sounds: since we live in Colorado at over 5,000 feet above sea level, the dry low-pressure air sucks away the moisture in only a few hours, as opposed to the 1-2 days it could take to dry a poorly hung pair of jeans on the East Coast. Then I put all the clothes away.

But anyway, our problem has at long last been solved by an amazing $20 device purchased from Target. A sturdy metal rack that folds out to reveal a total of 28 combined feet of hanging space, in a compact footprint. Small enough for even an apartment. Set it up in your living room or bedroom for the weekly drying of the clothes, or whisk the whole thing outside for full-on solar fresh air drying. In the semi-desert summer sunshine, a full load will dry in less than hour – faster than an electric dryer!

Compared to using the dryer, this device will save you about 50 cents of electricity per load, and at the US average of 400 loads per year (!?), you’re looking at $200 annually. As the title of this article suggests, that’s a 1000% annual return on the $20 price tag.

Benefit of increased marital harmony due to no more fights about my clothes-hanging skills? Priceless.

*The US gets about half of its electrical power from burning coal. My own power is 100% wind-generated thanks to a nice option presented by my local electric company, but still, most people are stuck using coal.

• eva June 27, 2011, 9:10 am

but still, most people are stuck using coal

even better–a significant portion of my electricity comes from a nuclear plant which, coincidentally, has also been leaking tritium into a local waterway. awesome! I use one of those clothes-drying devices but prefer a clothesline off the side of the house where it’s sunny as my climate can be steamy and things take awhile to dry.

• Sarah June 27, 2011, 10:26 am

I rarely use our gas dryer and choose instead to hang things on a couple of inside laundry racks like the one you have or outside on a clothesline my husband installed for me. It amazes me that anyone uses a dryer when the sunshine is absolutely free and blazing hot in the summertime. Yes, your clothes and towels can dry a bit crispy (fabric softener is filled with chemicals and fragrance, so I don’t use it), but a quick 10 minute air-fluff in the dryer can fix that if it bothers you. Not to mention, dryers wear out your clothes much more quickly than line drying. Plus, I think laundry hung on a clothesline, flapping in the summertime breeze looks romantic and sweet.

• Jenny June 27, 2011, 10:26 am

I think we’ll get one of these as well. As we speak, we’re installing a full size actual clothesline in our backyard (we had been using line strung around the yard) and even in the winter, this will work!

• Geek June 27, 2011, 10:55 am

Hey MMM:
    Can you link to that dryer on target.com? I already have an over-the-door drying rack and a small rack similar to yours but I’m still resorting to back-of-chairs railings. I could use another.

• AMY June 27, 2011, 11:22 am

One reason why somebody would choose to not dry their clothes outside is allergies. The allergens stick to the clothes and then you put them against your skin. Not fun. Drying indoors is still a must though.

• Rick June 27, 2011, 11:48 am

My situation is unique and may be helpful to some readers. My closet is a flat setup where there are sliding doors in front of one pole’s worth of clothing depth. I’ve pared down my clothing holdings to the point of being able to line-dry clothes where they are stored! Win + Win!

I confess to still drying socks & underwear. Maybe a line in the laundry room would make sense….

• GayleRn June 27, 2011, 12:11 pm

This cracks me up. My mother, now in her eighties considers the clothes dryer one of the greatest inventions ever. Back in the day, hanging up the wash was a continuous and onerous chore. Basements had clotheslines strung back and forth continuously and could not be used for living space. You had to do that because clothing hung outdoors in the winter simply froze. Permanent press had not been invented so everything had to be pressed to be wearable. Now multiply that by 7 kids and that was why my mother’s ironing board was never put away. In fact it is still up as I write this. Every second or third load was cloth diapers, 36 minimum per baby, all had to be folded. Old ladies love their clothes dryers, they know how much human energy it saves and how much space it freed up for other uses.

• MMM June 28, 2011, 7:23 am

Yeah, I would probably use every labor-saving device ever invented if I was trying to raise 7 kids at once. But for the more common sizes of family these days, with a thoughtful laundry schedule, the hanging takes a very small amount of time – a nice meditative downtime which might otherwise be spent watching TV in a non-Mustachian household..

And of course climate and house size does affect the amount of drying that can be done as well. Your Mum proved that where there’s a will there is a way.. I would still line-dry if I lived in the Northeast (as my own mother does), but in the SW US it is even more of a non-issue. You can almost throw your clothes across the room into the drawers and expect them to be dry when they land :-)

• Chris December 1, 2011, 9:40 pm

Seriously… it’s awesome. I set up a clothesline in the basement. 6 lines across the storage / laundry area for about 90′ of line space. One side hooks (via hook & eyes) to the wall so I can wrap it up when not in use and get to my stuff.

I can dry 3 loads of laundry at once and, due to our super dry air + a front load washer that spins a ton of moisture out, the stuff is totally dry in an hour or two. 8 loads per week = $4 x 52 = $208 in the stash per year, for the cost of a couple hooks, some old scrap 2x2s and 100′ of clothesline cord ($7).

The added bonus was I turned off my whole house humidifier, which saves additional cash. Win.

• Rainbow Rivers June 28, 2011, 7:44 am

My Grandmother still hung clothes for 10 kids outside in the winter! Many stories of her hanging wet clothes on the line till her fingers bled! After they froze she then brought them in to finish drying over and near their wood burner! I wonder if she would of just been better off skipping the outside in the winter hanging, never something I ever aspired to do just from hearing her stories!

I do love most the stories though, oh the joys of using an outhouse in the cold winter months, My Grandfathers solution to indoor plumbing was making a kind of pully device where you could stand in the kitchen and pull the buckets of water from the well along the line into the house so you did not have to go outside todraw water from the well in the cold………. the bathing in a small metal round washtub in the kitchen near the wood burner……………….. oh yes and using dynamite to blow up carp in the river……… those were the days! LOL

• Cheryl May 23, 2014, 8:37 am

I never thought about dryers that way, but I’ve often thought about how awesome it it is that washing machines exist. Laundry must have been an absolutely horrible chore before they did!

And vacuums! Man, those are awesome! Also: hot water! And grocery stores, where you can buy anything from anywhere in the world, year round! All that before computers and the internet even came around!

I was born in ’86, and I guess plenty of people my age take this stuff for granted, but for some reason I’ve always known we live in an age of fantastic convenience. The world is awesome, y’all.

• Dwight June 27, 2011, 6:23 pm

My climate is the opposite of yours. I live by the coast in the Pacific Northwest. There is a lot of humidity! We don’t have extreme temperatures, but every day of the year is cool enough to want a little heat. So- I use an indoor rack like yours and run a dehumidifier. The waste heat from the dehumidifier is just enough to keep the house comfortable. The cloths drying is a free bonus because I would have used the same amount of energy heating the house if I were using a heater rather than the dehumidifier.

• No Debt MBA June 28, 2011, 6:35 am

We got an infinite ROI with our clothes racks last year since we got them for free one was left as a curbside give away because the hinges were a little loose (easily fixed with a screw driver) and the other was left behind by the tenants who had the place before us.

• Fu Manchu June 28, 2011, 10:09 am

For anyone interested in indoor clotheslines, we installed this retractable one for our apartment and it works great. It just runs from one end of our guest room to the other, and is sturdy enough to hold up two loads of laundry at once (we drilled each end into wood – make sure it’s anchored!).

Crawford 40 feet Retractable Clothesline

• Fu Manchu June 28, 2011, 10:11 am

I should mention that the 40′ model will run you a whopping $12.99, very Mustachian investment!! We simply open the windows in our apartment and humidity is never an issue.

• momotaro June 30, 2011, 3:32 pm

Good going, grasshopper! Your starting to think like the Japanese. These racks are standard in Japan. There are several other earth friendly appliances in the typical Japanese household that you rarely or never see in the west. Cheers!

• David G. McKenna August 30, 2013, 9:11 am

Can you cite any other examples? I’d love to hear more about Japanese efficiency at home!

• Ginger July 1, 2011, 1:28 pm

I just bought a similar rack at BBB with their 20% coupon, only cost me $16. My DH did not like me hanging the clothes everywhere but by using the dryer it add over $16 a year so we compromised. I see cheaper utilities in my future.

• Jan July 4, 2011, 3:45 am

I love to see other people use these dryer racks! I’ve used mine for several years now and I have a system down where I was a load at night & hang them up. The rack is in our bedroom, and since we sleep with the ceiling fan on, it helps to expedite the drying of the clothes, and we have the fan on to help keep us cool while not lowering our A/C too much. It’s a win-win. Plus, if I need something to wear the next day, it’s definitely dry by morning. Great post!

• Chicknamedal August 14, 2011, 2:16 am

In addition to all of the other great reasons for not using your dryer as much as possible, air drying helps make your clothes last longer. I haven’t dried any of my non-underwear clothes for 25 or so years now. At my last office job (2 years ago) a coworker complimented an outfit I was wearing and asked where I had purchased it. That outfit was 10 years old! I couldn’t remember where I had bought it…not even a little bit. She couldn’t believe I had clothes which lasted that long! My secret: no drying in the dryer. Colors stay longer, fabrics wear better, there is less pilling, etc. The key to being able to wear clothes that are a decade old is to purchase classics which will not go out of style. I also do not believe in plunking out a chunk of money for clothes, so I do not buy at the expensive price. When I had to have “work” clothes–you know, professional–I shopped the clearance racks, the out-of-season sales, and at discount stores. While I found some excellent deals ($100 jacket for $15 and so on), I purchased most of my clothes at the local wally world or Target. Even Walmart clothes will last if you take care of them.

• Cheryl May 23, 2014, 8:42 am

I’ve wondered about this. My clothes don’t last particularly long, but my mom recently gave me a bunch of stuff she wore all through college. Everything from nice dresses to meh t-shirts. Now that I own them they’re suddenly wearing out! Maybe she wasn’t machine drying them….

• Ealasaid Haas September 12, 2011, 5:47 pm

My mom taught me never to tumble-dry my tshirts — they last for AGES as a result, to the point that I have given away several boxfulls while decluttering, and have a box of shirts I’m going to sew into a blanket because I love them but don’t wear them regularly (I have given up the heavy unisex shirts and pretty much only wear girly shirts. More comfy and more flattering to my body-shape).

I have tshirts that are 15+ years old and still look good. Tumble-drying is so friggin’ hard on clothes.

• MMM September 12, 2011, 6:10 pm

True, True. I only recently had to give up my “Lolapalooza 1992″ t-shirt due to old age. I’ll miss you, old buddy, and the good times we had together through the years.

• Jane October 21, 2011, 10:33 am

I invested in a clothes dryer that’s a bit more expensive, but make such a huge difference in my life! We live in an apartment with not a lot of space to set up racks and no ability to put a clothesline in the backyard. Our porch is TINY -but it’s big enough for this awesome collapsable rack! We tried the cheapo retractable ones but they only lasted a season, so not worth the cost if you have to replace them every year! This one is on track to last forever, and I’ll definitely be taking it with me if we move. It holds 2 big loads of laundry and folds up to barely noticeable on its wall-mounted rack. GENIUS.
    P.S. When researching clothes drying options, read the reviews on amazon.co.uk, rather than the US website. People there actually use them there and you can get SO much more info.

• JackVegas December 12, 2011, 2:34 pm

One problem with air-drying is that it tends to leave mineral deposits and detergents in the clothing (as does normal machine drying). Another problem is that it can take quite a while to dry clothes on indoor racks. I’ve found a portable centrifugal spin dryer to be a handy companion to my air-dry rack.

This little jewel looks like a small trash can but is an ultra-centrifuge for spin drying cloths after they finish their “normal” water extraction spin cycle in the washer. Its amazing how much water is left behind and can be extracted using this little centrifuge. I routinely pull nearly a quart of water of of a standard load of laundry. The super extraction removes nearly all the remaining water and trapped detergents, leaving the cloths just slightly damp to the touch after only 3-4 minutes. Light clothing or synthetics come out so dry that I put them into my old dryer on air-tumble only and they come out ready to wear in about 15 minutes. Normal cloths go to the drying rack for a few hours first, and then into air-tumble for 15 minutes for final drying and fluffing.

I just wish the units were cheaper, but if you consider the energy savings, they are cost effective and pay for themselves very quickly.

I use this one purchased through Amazon for about $180:

The Cadillac of such units is the Spin-X:

• Littlegreengecko January 12, 2013, 7:11 pm

If there are noticeable ‘mineral deposits and detergent on your clothes then it is due to one or more of the following: (a) Water level in washing machine was set too low (b) overloading – too much clothing in machine for a single wash (c) too much detergent (d) maintenance or design fault with washing machine.

If you are concerned about mineral deposits etc on your clothes then use a chemical free washing powder or make your own (plenty of simple quick recipes on the net). Or just use a teaspoon to tablespoon of soap – laundry soap was used right up until the 20th century advertisements appeared telling us only chemical wash detergents can get your clothes clean.

Time to air dry your clothes – yes it does take a long time to dry but you don’t need to stand there watching it dry! Unless you are naked due to running out of clothes which suggests to me you either need to get yourself some more clothes to cover washdays and/or plan your wash days so you are not washing your entire wardrobe in one dat.

Centrifugal spin dryer- sounds like marketing BS to me. Unless I missed something I am pretty sure my automatic washing machine already has a spin dryer! If my spin dryer didn’t remove the excess water then I would be firstly getting my washing machine warranty card out and then ringing Mr Washing Machine Fixit Man.

• October MacBain January 24, 2012, 9:27 am

We moved into our new house in winter, but one of the first things we did when the ground thawed was install a rotating clothesline (the kind that looks like an inverted umbrella) in the yard. We also purchased a rack that looks just like the one in the picture. It frequently comes out to set in front of the fireplace, where the warm air quickly dries whatever is placed on it.

• Jason January 28, 2012, 10:43 am

We use the same dryers. I used to complain about the racks alway up in our back room, but after seeing the savings, I complain no more. I am becoming a mustachean convert.
    P.S. Also going to start riding my bike to work a couple of days a week. I only live 1.5 miles from my office and have a bike path the whole way.
    Thanks for all the tips. Love the website.

• Johonn February 12, 2012, 8:03 am

In Korea, where my wife and I are currently spending 8 months, only the well-off have clothes dryers. The rest of us use clothes racks, and the ones we have can usually take an entire load of clothes each. I’ve uploaded a picture that you can see here if you like:

• Johonn February 12, 2012, 8:05 am

and I should clarify for those unfamiliar with Korea that it is fully westernized, but in myriad ways it is a much smarter lifestyle than in the US. For one thing public transportation is cheap, reliable, and convenient. Of course this works in a large part because of the population density.

• Jo July 2, 2012, 9:26 am

We invested in 2 “best drying racks” from bestdryingrack.com. They are maple and steel, very durable, and they hold a lot. Growing up in New Zealand the clothes dryer was only used as a backup when the weather was uncooperative – everyone had a washing line. Living in Japan in my 20s I hung clothes on the balcony through humid summers and bitter cold winters just like everyone else – I didn’t know anyone with a dryer. Using fossilized sunshine to dry clothes is really silly when the sun is shining in your backyard right now!

• The Perpetual Student July 14, 2012, 1:14 pm

If you’re really into saving steps and efficiency as I am, you’ll just hang your wet clothes on hangers as you would dry, and space them on the bar. The next day they are dry, and you just moosh them to the side to make room for the next load. No folding, no hassle. If you don’t keep much in drawers, laundry really becomes a streamlined process!

• Katy September 15, 2012, 12:40 pm

I got this thing: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50095091/ from IKEA….it seems a little cheapy..but has held up for a couple of years now….it holds A TON of clothes….I NEVER dry my workout clothes…….this can hold a solid two loads! Woot.

• Peter October 5, 2012, 2:12 pm

400 loads??? JTFC….

• Nikhil October 19, 2012, 2:08 pm

This is common in India, where all houses come with taller ceilings near the washer where you put up clotheslines or metal rods.
    Now that I’ve moved to the US, I think I’ll get a rack.

• brenda from ar October 19, 2012, 11:27 pm

Well, I still love my dryer, but I use it less than most folks. I toss the wash in and run it for maybe 7 minutes, then check. If things are de-wrinkled, they go on hangers on the shower rod, or on a wooden rack like your metal one. If a few things are still wrinkly, I run them in the dryer a few more minutes. No ironing required. I only keep an iron for sewing projects. Since I have an electric dryer (this can NOT be done with gas dryers), in the cool weather, I stuff the wall vent with something, put a knee-hi nylon sock over vent hose and vent the heat straight into the house to save on the heating bill. I guess it’s not much heat since I only wash about 5-7 loads per month, but I can’t see wasting it.

• Darryl October 31, 2012, 1:00 pm

I’ve been line-drying since I read this blog a month or two ago. I feel like a moron that I’ve been using the dryer all these years and now I think drying clothes is almost insane. Unfortunately, however, I’ve had some complaints from other family members that the clothes are too stiff/scratchy when line dried. That’s true, and while I don’t find it as bothersome as the others, I’m trying to keep the peace. Here’s a tip, from my mother: line-dry the clothes for a few hours (or as long as it takes in your own personal micro-climate) until they’re just barely damp. Then pop them in the dryer for 10 minutes. They’ll come out soft, dry and fluffy. You’ll still use the dryer, but far less. You might also want to do this only on shirts and towels that will scratch your delicate skin, but not worry about it for pants and socks where you won’t be as sensitive to the scratchiness.

• Littlegreengecko January 12, 2013, 6:48 pm

The reason your clothes go stiff is because you left them on the line too long. Once clothes are dry on the line the air continues to suck moisture out of them which is why they feel like cardboard and scratchy. So you need to get clothes the line as soon as possible once dry and remember that different fabrics dry at different rates. My Mum sniffs the clothes to tell whether there is still moisture in them, and if not, whips them off the line straight away. You don’t need an electric clothes dryer.

• Bruno July 4, 2013, 12:08 pm

We have used the IKEA ‘Frost’ (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40244831/) for about 6 years. Holding up well, in fact we now own two (NE humidity…). But no dryer since 2007.

• Ms. Manageable Muttonchops July 24, 2013, 10:01 am

Put “Octopus Clothes Hanger” into google and behold the dryer of socks and other dedicates! I use this in place of the dryer load for small stuff. It is not too laborious really. Maybe if I had preschooler socks to wash I would think differently.

• Becky O. July 30, 2013, 10:25 am

I grew up hanging clothes out to dry on the clothesline. Usually, it was just after dusk before my mother would remind me to go bring in the clothes.

Living in a rural area, our clothesline was located next to a pasture, which was located in front of a dense forest. From inside that dense forest, the chorus of coyote howling always helped me gather the laundry at the utmost speed.

Quite efficient on my mother’s part, now that I think about it.

Anyway, now I have my OWN three-line clothesline, enough room to hang all of my bedsheets & blankets at one time. Every time I hang blankets and sheets, I have an urge to grab a book and read in the “fort” it creates!

• Melinda January 7, 2014, 6:04 pm

I know this post is old, I live in sunny Queensland Australia and all my adult life have never owned a dryer including two children in cloth nappies (diapers) for twelve months. Our weather is suited to line drying all year and rarely rains for days. Last week we experienced 42 degrees C. We are currently living in a caravan (trailer van) and a rope is strung and held up with a centre pole so for me their isn’t an issue whether to own and run a dryer or not.

• Oh Yonghao April 22, 2014, 11:53 am

When we lived in Taiwan we never owned a dryer, and other than foreign missionaries we didn’t even know someone who owned a dryer. Taiwan, being the tropical island that it is, is very humid, probably 80%+ 99% of the year, including the 90 degree days during the summer, which starts in April or May; to those complaining about the Northwest being too humid, stop being a complainy pants. We also bought a rack from Ikea and had one of those Octopus clothes racks for socks.

Living in the states we bought a combo HE front load washer and dryer. We are very diligent in cleaning the lint filter every time. I’ve stayed at friends houses and done laundry and was always surprised when I would open the lint filter and find enough lint to make a pair of socks or more. They also commonly had trouble with clothes not drying and the dryer breaking down but couldn’t make the connection.

Now that we’ve been reading this blog we are starting to convert back to the line drying, this should help our dryer last even longer. This month we are averaging under 8Kwh/day, including cooking.

• CTY May 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Just wanted to add this for people who have humid/cold seasons and have to wait a day or two for things to dry on these racks. I use 2 Minky racks I bought at Lowes for about $17 ea.
    Anyway, even though one rack can hold 1 load of clothes, I spread it between 2 racks. I drape each item over 2 wires so that there is a layer of air that circulates around the item. This trick allows for a dry time that is faster and more uniform. And if space is an issue, this rack also fits in the bathtub. If company comes simply close the shower curtain. I suppose 2 racks reduces my ROI by half (500%) but I can live with that.

(the web site says $65, but that is not the price–they are always $16.99)

• Cheryl May 23, 2014, 8:28 am

When this article loaded up, my eyes went wide and my brain just locked up for several seconds. OHMYGOD! I totally had one of these things when I lived in Korea, and COMPLETELY ERASED IT FROM MY BRAIN when I came back to America. I never have re-adjusted to using dishwashers (Really? You’re going to rinse all your dishes then put them all in a machine where they have to sit until the machine’s full, then tediously unload them all? How many dishes do you even own? Unless you have a large family I just don’t get it.) but an alternative to dryers, apparently, fell right out of my ears. Awesome! I gotta find one of these!!!

• Rupert September 27, 2014, 2:26 pm

By buying green power you’re helping to create demand for renewable energy and helping to displace the dirtier power generation methods. However, unless your utility company built separate wiring to your house, that’s only connected to wind turbines, it’s unlikely that your power is “100% wind-generated” per se. All power sources and sinks are interconnected and cross-linked, which is why they call it a “grid” and not some other analogy.

“Energy production on the mains electricity grid is always set up as a combination of (large-scale) renewable energy plants, as well as other power plants as fossil-fuel power plants and nuclear power.” Wikipedia

“…the electricity flowing through the transmission grid is part of a “power pool.” All of the electricity on the same grid is, in a sense, mixed together. There is no way to distinguish between the electrons generated by renewable sources and those by fossil fuels. In other words, the transmission grid does not keep “green” power separate from conventional power. For that reason, programs that claim to offer customers ‘100 percent green’ power are more symbolic than literal.” Institute For Energy Research

“It is impossible to guarantee that the electrons you receive at your electrical outlet came from the Green Power generators directly.” Laurens (SC) Electric Co-op

“Whether or not you choose to support renewable electricity, you draw upon the “pool” of power that makes up the New England electric grid. …it is physically impossible to distinguish and deliver individual electrons to specific homes or businesses…” Massachusetts Energy Consumers Alliance

This doesn’t detract from your message; if anything it only makes it more important to do things like this (use drying racks) to conserve energy, because the only truly sustainable energy solution is to not use energy.

• Rollie October 19, 2014, 5:46 pm

Inspired by this, I’m trying out a variant that uses materials I already had lying around that cost me $0:

standard 1-1/4″ closet rod (no idea where I got it or when)
    two lengths of nylon “parachute cord”
    two screw-in “cup hooks” from the “box o’fasteners”

The hooks go into the wooden rafters that support the roof over my balcony. Each cord is tied permanently around one end of the closet rod, sitting in a shallow notch I made with a chisel. There’s a finger-sized loop in the other end of each cord, that slips onto one of the cup hooks.(*) I put my wet clothes on hangers (which I have to do later on in the laundry process anyway) and hang them to dry out on the deck. When done, the closet rod gets stored standing up in the uh, closet. Some bugs to work out still, such as not being able to do it when our downstairs neighbors are having their weekly stanky deep-fried culo cook-off, but otherwise a success!

(*) That part was awesome BTW: Chiseling! Knotwork! Knots that slip (variation of fisherman’s)! Knots that hold a loop! (bowline) Very manly!