A Guest Posting on Frugal Dad!

I’ve been broadening my blogging horizons a little bit and reading what other people are writing. One blog that caught my eye is Frugal Dad. I like the title and the great variety of topics he has covered over the years, in a nice easy-sipping style.

The Frugal Dad is a guy who started out mixed into the consumer culture, and as a result ended up with an uncomfortable amount of debt, before he hit the brakes and started turning things around.

It’s a nice contrast to Early Retirement Extreme (the first place where I had the opportunity to do a guest posting) and Mr. Money Mustache, since ERE and I both embraced the frugality plan right from the start, thus missing out on many of the hard knocks and life lessons that are dealt to people who mix it up with The Consumer Credit System

So I wrote to the author, and he has graciously agreed to post an article from me on his powerful and interesting site. The triple M words will find their way to some new eyes. Many thanks, Frugal Dad!

Here is a link to today’s Guest Posting: First Retire, Then Have Kids

15 Responses to “A Guest Posting on Frugal Dad!”

1. chrissy July 1, 2011 at 8:48 am #

It’s really interesting to see the difference in readership between Frugal Dad and MMM (or even GRS). From the first 7 or so replies to this guest post, there seems to be a lot of fear and cynicism over there. I guess fewer of them are drinking the financial independence Kool-aid… or at least maybe more of them are still struggling under the weight of debt.

• Mrs. Money Mustache July 1, 2011 at 9:42 am #

Yes, it is a very different group of people for sure! It’s very interesting to read the comments and hopefully a good discussion gets started over there. MMM is on the road today, but hopefully he’ll have time to respond this evening.

For the record, I was 31 when I had our child and felt very young (I still do)! We planned to have a second as well, but decided against it after much contemplation. It’s funny how I never would have thought of having a child in my 20s, even though MMM and I met when we were only 19… In fact, almost everyone I know had their children in their 30s.

For us, our original plan was to do a bit of a mini retirement when our children were young, and then possibly go back to work after that. Plans change as your perspective changes, so we will probably stay on this path for a while longer as we are quite happy.

As for retiring with $1 million… easy. :)

• Chrissy July 2, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Hey Mrs MM – hope the drive is going well! Canada must be pretty spectacular to lure you out of the confines of Colorado for so long :)

I don’t know where anyone got the impression you were 32 when the little one was born. I’d always understood you and MMM were 30/31.

In my opinion, (admittedly, my husband and I have not yet had kids) the best time to have kids is when you want them. I’m nearly 27 and he’s 29 and we’re just not there yet. This is actually the first year my HS friends are starting to reproduce. I have friends who’ve had fertility problems in their mid-late 20′s, but I don’t view fear as a good reason to push for having kids younger. I think MMMs principles still apply, whether you’re having kids at 25, 30 or later (or even never) – learn to live off less, and save for your future, whenever it starts.

• Steve July 1, 2011 at 11:20 am #

I laugh when I read people say about MMM’s early retirement methods…”What if everyone did that? It isn’t sustainable.”

Everyone isn’t going to do it. Frugality is a lifestyle.

“We have over a million dollars saved up, but we can’t retire.”

No, you don’t want to retire. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• Lilacorchid July 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

I posted over there. Maybe the other women who posted about fertility have issues like me? It took four years, tons of drugs, and finally two rounds of IVF to have our son, and we are only 30!

I agree with everything written, but I did want add that women don’t have the luxury of waiting as long as men to start a family.

• Mrs. Money Mustache July 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

It’s true that women have a finite set of fertile years. I personally know several who have struggled with infertility and it is a very difficult and emotional thing. I know women of all ages that have had issues, even in their younger 20s. I also know women who have successfully had kids in their 40s with no problem. Certainly it would be nice to know in advance how things will go…

It’s interesting that this topic is coming up, but it is true that if you have children earlier, then you will have less time to save. However, even if you have 5 years to save vs. 10 years, there’s still a lot of saving that can be done and it turns out that it is more about changing your habits then actually saving money. For some families, simply cutting their spending in half TODAY may mean that one parent can stay home with their child, or both parents can switch to part-time. No big bank account required. When there’s a strong will, there’s always a way.

• Lilacorchid July 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Yes it would be great to know how family building would go, I agree! The have your kids later mentality really bugs me in general probably due to my own struggles and my wish that no one suffers what I did.

I read both Jacob and FD’s blogs, so I’m already a convert. Because of both of them, we are going to have all debt, including our mortgage, paid off before our son turns one. We even had enough money saved up to pay cash for our IVF cycles.

I even thought about writing my own PF blog from a woman’s POV, but other than this and maybe an article about Diva cups, I’m not sure what else I would write that is new. The principles are all the same.

Anyway, this blog is firmly in my favorites! Write on!

• Steve July 5, 2011 at 6:49 am #

Older parent here. There isn’t just infertility to worry about as you age, you also have to worry about Down’s and other genetic diseases.

Approximately 1 in 1,400 babies born from women in their 20′s have Down syndrome; it increases to about 1 in 100 babies born with Down syndrome from women in their 40s.

Money by itself is just a bunch of silly paper. It only when you spend it, and change the quality of your life, that it has significance. Don’t sacrifice the quality of your life chasing dollar bills.

• Mrs. Money Mustache July 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

I agree that you shouldn’t sacrifice the quality of your life for money. This post is about having enough to raise our child how we wanted to raise him, mostly through leading a more frugal lifestyle. I’m glad we made the sacrifices required to do this as it was well worth it (plus the “sacrifices” were easy!)

Just to be clear, we did not delay having kids at all. If anything we started trying before we were even fully ready. For me, 30 was the perfect time to start. I was not ready in my 20s.

It’s interesting that this turned into a fertility discussion, as it was not meant to be one. The point is not about delaying having children, it’s about having the flexibility to raise your children the way you want at whatever age you choose to have them.

• Steve July 6, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Sorry Mrs. Stash, but I can’t reply to your post. I think the reason everyone jumped into the fertility discussion was the title of the post on Frugal Dad, “First Retire, Then Have Kids”.

I read the article and the main gist of it wasn’t delaying children until retirement – it was “When you are young kids and retirement seem far away, but they really aren’t.”

Anyway, I think it’s the title that drew the fire.

• Mrs. Money Mustache July 6, 2011 at 10:27 am #

I think you are absolutely right Steve. Good observation!

• MMM July 8, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Hi Steve!

I sort of agree with your “Money by itself is just a bunch of silly paper. It only when you spend it..” comment, but still try to battle the misuse of that common idea.

Some people say that as a justification for spending money with abandon, figuring, “Money is for spending, so I might as well lead a good life!”

Whereas I consider the purpose of money is to provide freedom. The money provides freedom only when you DON’T spend it. Well, to be exact, you don’t spend your principal, you only spend the free cashflow it provides for you for life.

As young Mustachian trainees, people start out with NO principal – no employees. So I suggest they spend very little of that – in order to get the principal built up as quickly as possible. Then they will have the freedom for the rest of their lives to enjoy the benefits of money – along with a well-developed set of frugality muscles to allow them to distinguish between wasteful and useful purchases.

A good future article – I saved the idea in my drafts folder!

2. Jason @ Frugal Dad July 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I very much enjoyed the post, and I know most of my readers did as well. I think you are on to a great concept here and I look forward to following along.

3. Jenn July 4, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I found MMM through the guest post on Frugal Dad. I have only one complaint- I’ve spent way too much time this 4th of July weekend reading old posts. :-) I love your writing style and point-of-view. I’ve been a financial hobbyist for many years but am nowhere near the black belt of knowing how to fit spending to priorities like you & the Mrs. I’ve ready tons of blogs- many that I have loved- but yours is the best by far. I think you are to be commended. we- as both a planet, a country and individuals- would be much better off if we all followed similar principals. Bravo! I can’t wait to read more!

• MMM July 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Thanks very much Jenn! I can’t wait to write more. Right now I’m enjoying a night-and-day construction binge at a beautiful lakeside cottage near Ottawa, Canada. So internet access is sparse, and it is quite refreshing, actually!